Publicité

Prince Harry begins army career

10 mai 2005, 00:00

Par

Partager cet article

Facebook X WhatsApp

lexpress.mu | Toute l'actualité de l'île Maurice en temps réel.

Prince Harry arrived at the prestigious and notoriously tough Sandhurst military academy on Sunday to begin his army career with a warning from his superiors that he will be treated like any other cadet.The 20-year-old was accompanied by his father, Prince Charles, as he enrolled at the college south-west of London.Bookmakers were already taking bets that the young prince would not complete the 44-week course.

Harry left school two years ago and has become a regular feature in the tabloid press.Six months ago, he scuffled with paparazzi outside a nightclub in the early hours of the morning and in January he sparked outrage by wearing a Nazi outfit to a party. ?I am really excited,? Harry said in a statement issued by his father?s office, Clarence House. ?I want to get on with it and do the best job I can do.? The first five weeks of the course are notoriously tough, with cadets up at dawn and unable to leave the site. The prince will be trained as an officer cadet and will be eligible for active service after the course finishes. A spokesman for Clarence House said he had been told he would be treated the same as any other cadet. He had been due to join Sandhurst last year but his entrance was delayed due to a knee injury.Major General Andrew Ritchie said Harry would learn the basics of being a good soldier and leadership qualities. Harry continues the royal family?s long tradition of military service.The Queen is head of the three armed services, and her husband Prince Philip enjoyed a long career in the Royal Navy.

<B>Kate HOLTON

Publicité